Thursday, April 26, 2012

Kwik Sew 3453 Puffy Vest - Item 7 Completed

This was a fun piece to make. The pattern is  Kwik Sew 3458 and I used a fleece back quilted nylon that I bought from Fabric.com.


Kwik Sew 3453

Pattern Description:  Misses' close-fitting vests have side panels, stand-up collar, armhole bindings and forward shoulder seams. (From back of Kwik Sew Pattern). I made View A with the zipper.

Pattern Sizing: XS-XL. I made a S.



Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, although I did not use a contrast fabric and I finished the armholes with a satin bias on the inside rather than the armhole bindings they suggested.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, I really like Kwik Sew instructions. I found them to be clear and concise. As I used a different fabric to their suggestions, I did have to think ahead about how to finish some of the seams to avoid my fabric fraying.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I like the pockets on this vest as they are easy to construct and a decent size. I also like the side panels - they give the vest a nice shape.

Fabric Used: A fleece backed quilted nylon purchased from Fabric.com.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I changed the collar finish because if I left it as it was, you would see the inside seam when I had it unzipped and that would look a bit messy. So I ended up folding over a seam allowance and handstitching this in place to give a neater finish. I also used satin binding on the inside of the armhole as this fabric had very minimal stretch and I didn't think the binding method suggested would work well on my chosen fabric. In hindsight I think I should have allowed slightly more seam allowance when I cut it out as it is made for a polar fleece type fabric that has a bit of stretch to it and my fabric did not stretch much at all.  Also, the seam allowances on this pattern are 1/4" so no room for error really.  Still it worked out fine, but a little more snug :)
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  This is the third time I have used this pattern, so I probably will again.  I would recommend it to others. I made no alterations with the length so a taller person would need to add more length.

Conclusion: A great Kwik Sew pattern.

I'm looking forward to cooler weather to try this vest out with my other Wardrobe Basics.

 I only have one more item to go now - the dark skinny jeans.  I am going to use a pattern I have made before (pictured here) Jalie 2908 - the mid rise version altering the leg to make it into a skinny (not too skinny!) jean.


2 comments:

  1. Great looking vest and it looks fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that turned out great. They should swap the pattern image with what you made cause its way better :)

    ReplyDelete