|The vest so far...|
I have been working on Simplicity 4032 for the Wardrobe Basics Sew Along. Sewing with fur is certainly a new experience for me. Some points I have noticed so far:
- When cutting the fur out, if possible it is best to try and cut the backing and not the fur itself, otherwise you end up with fur everywhere.
- I couldn't mark any notches in the fur at all (you simply just can't see them due to the pile in the fur) so I used a washable blue marker to do all my markings.
- I'm using a size 14 ballpoint needle and have lenthened my stitch just slightly and this seems to be working very well on the fur.
- Simplicity 4032 is not lined so I am using this tutorial to line the vest.
- When sewing the fur I have had to "eyeball" my seam allowance due to not being able to see the measurements on my machine. Probably not the greatest method, but I don't think you will be able to tell due to the pile of the fur. The picture below shows what I mean by not being able to see your measurements for the seam allowance with the fur.
- And last but not least, it is Summer here in Australia, so sewing and fur is one hot experience!